This is really easy, cheap and filling. I added the broccolini for a fancy shmancy garnish but it can easily do without. You can serve it with crusty bread, drizzle good quality olive oil on top and you are sorted.
Courgette & butter bean soup
Recipe Type: Vegetarian
A quick, cheap and filling soup for the lazy soul like me.
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 10 ml olive oil
- 250 g / 1 punnet baby courgette (zucchini), roughly chopped
- 1 Litre / 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can butter beans, drained
- Salt and pepper
- Broccolini for garnish
- Half a cup of oil for the broccolini
- 50 g / a wheel of feta
- Put a large pot on a medium heat and add the oil
- When the oil has gone runny, it’s ready, so add the onions and sweat with the lid on for about 5 minutes (make sure it’s not too hot or the onions will burn, so turn heat down if necessary
- When onions are translucent, add the garlic and fry for about 2 minutes more.
- Add the courgettes and give everything a good mix. Cook for another 3 minutes
- Pour in the stock, drained beans and bring to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer, and leave to cook until the courgettes are soft, about 30 minutes
- When ready, blend to form a smooth consistency and check seasoning, adjust if necessary
- To add a bit of crunch and colour to the dish, deep fry broccolini for two minutes and add on top with some crumbled feta when serving